Tustin Pop Warner Football & Cheer (‘TPWFC’) provides registration fee scholarships to local athletes, who without financial assistance would not otherwise be able to participate. The Coach Mike Mallard Scholarship Assistance program focuses on providing opportunities for our area youth to participate in football & cheer for the physical, mental, and character-training benefits this program can provide.
Scholarship assistance will be dependent upon the TPWFC funds available and the participant’s documented financial need.
A grant from The Griswold Foundation funds the Coach Mike Mallard Scholarship and is in place to honor Coach Mike Mallard, who passed away in 2016. Coach Mallard coached many athletes since 2001. His dedication as a volunteer and mentor is honored through this scholarship which will help kids play football and cheer who otherwise might not have the finances to do so. Our primary goal is to help as many young athletes participate in TPWFC that we possibly can. We anticipate a large number of requests for assistance and although our funds are limited, we will do our best to financially assist as many qualified participants as we can. For those who do not qualify for the grant scholarship, or should funds not be available, the payment option of monthly installments is available.
Application and supporting documents Letters, to be emailed sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to P.O. Box 1345 Tustin CA 92780. Financial assistance are NOT guaranteed to every applicant.
Deadline to submit applications is May 15, 2018 with notification to participants by May 30, 2018.
Requirements for Eligibility:
• Athlete must be age 15 or younger
• Athlete must commit to attend a minimum of 80% of scheduled practices and games
• Must live in the Tustin/North Tustin area and attend a Tustin Unified school
• Proof from TUSD for free or reduced nutrition program
• Participation by a family member as a volunteer in at least one (1) league event during the scholarship season
• A parent, guardian, or head of household must complete application, with all requested information provided. (Incomplete applications will not be considered.)
• Cannot have received scholarships from other organizations in addition to that of TPWFC for the football season
• 2017 tax return documentation to support need based scholarship application
• Letter from parents explaining the financial need, importance of participation and willingness to volunteer in the Program
• Personal Letter from the player or cheerleader explaining the desire to participate in Football (Jr. Pee Wee level or higher which is 8+ years old) or Cheer: ‘Why I want to participate in youth football or cheer”. Letters will be reviewed by Committee.
Approval process of a registration scholarship does not register the participant for TPWFC. You will still need to complete all registration documents as well.
The John C. Griswold Family formed a friendship and a bond with Coach Mallard and have extended their generosity to fund this program through their foundation. Their vision is to keep Coach Mallard’s charter of helping kids that need assistance to play football & cheer.
Priority Will Be Given to Eligible Youth Meeting One or More of the Criteria Below:
• Living in a single parent household.
• Receiving assistance from programs such as: School Assisted Lunch Program, Food Stamps, Medicaid, SSI, Foster Care, WIC, etc. (Must provide written documentation of participation in these programs to receive priority status)
• Written recommendation by school representatives, social workers, youth community center workers, or other social services representatives.